In my earlier articles on this subject, We Need The Democrats, The Good Doctor, and The DNC Attacks Dr. Ben Carson, I’ve done my best to encourage the Democrats to stop pointing fingers outwards and point them inwards instead.
I say this because the Democrats need to get back on their game. I don’t want a one-party system on the Right any more than I liked the past eight years of a one-party system on the Left. I wanted the Republicans to hold Obama’s feet to the fire then, and I want the Democrats to hold Trump’s feet to the fire now. And to do that they need to figure out what they did wrong. Not what the FBI or the Russians or the alt-right or Fox news did wrong. What the Democrats did wrong.
I am saddened to report that the universe often does not go in the direction I might desire … who would have guessed? For the latest evidence of this, I offer Bill Clinton’s statement explaining Hillary’s loss:
He doesn’t know much. One thing [Trump] does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him.
Instead of bashing Trump, and blaming the Russians, here are a few of the questions that Bill and Hillary and the Democrats might profit by asking themselves:
• You mean there actually are white men out there who are angry?
• Why wasn’t I notified?
• What on earth do white men have to be angry about after eight years of Democratic rule?
• Why aren’t workers in shuttered factories happy with just getting retrained as restaurant cooks and getting on with their lives?
• Don’t they know that the death of the middle class is preordained by free trade and comparative advantage? Why do they struggle against their known and settled fate?
• What is wrong with Hillary’s unspoken message that the elites know more than the common people do about how said plebeians should live? After all, they do know more, every elite I ask says so …
• Is denouncing your opponent’s supporters as “racists”, “sexists”, “a basket of deplorables”, and “angry white men” a productive political strategy that should be duplicated in future campaigns?
• Democrats have said that the Russians used propaganda to affect the election. There is evidence that the Russians hacked information. However, there is no evidence that the Russians made what they found public, and Assange says what he released was from a leak, not a hack. In either case, the “propaganda” in this case was verified emails showing the Democratic National Committee was corrupt to the core; that they conspired with Hillary’s campaign to exclude Bernie Sanders in the primary elections; and they corruptly passed secret debate questions from CNN to Hillary so she could falsely pretend to be knowledgeable. Discuss and debate.
Look, I’m serious here. We need the Democrats to get back on their feet. To do that, they need to end the endless blame game and consider just what they did and did not do that lead up to their loss.
Want to know the most meaningful statistic for me out of this whole election?
According to exit polls, white women voted for Trump by a “yuuuuge” margin, 53% to 43%. Hillary was unable to convince white women, her closest sisters, the very people you would expect to be her natural power base, to vote for her. She was able to convince lots of other groups of women … but sisters can always see through you.
Forget about white men. Only when the Democrats understand the inability of Hillary to reach white women will they understand the cause of their spontaneous auto-defenestration. And I hope understanding comes soon. This endless parade of excuses is unseemly. It’s time for Democrats to look inward.
Regards to all,